Pages

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Reading for the Labor Day Weekend

http://theshelflifeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/summer-reading.jpg It's Labor Day Weekend and I am heading up to a lake in Sonoma County for the holiday. I plan to leave all my heavy lifting/reading behind. I have been working hard on writing content for a website, and I am ready for a little escapism. But I am not talking about chick lit kind of escapism, but the kind of literary novel that is fun and easy to read but has a little heft.

In my book bag:

Mary by Janis Cooke Newman

My friend Nancy Chirinos strongly recommended this to me last year. I bought it and put it on my shelf and promptly couldn’t find it. Two nights ago, while searching in a completely different area than I thought I had left it, I found it. The receipt was for March. That’s how long it has been misplaced. I started it that night and I am hooked.

Goodbye and Amen by Beth Gutcheon

I really enjoyed Domestic Pleasures. When I did a little research on Beth, I discovered her husband was my eight grade English teacher! (It’s a small world) I’ve been meaning to try her again and I’ve heard good things about this novel.

Alice Waters and Chez Panisse by Thomas McNamee

It’s the Slow Food convention this weekend in San Francisco. Since I won’t be there, reading about Alice Waters may be the next best thing.

Mr. Pip by Lloyd Jones

I have heard this described as a “spare fable.” Perfect for the end of summer.

No comments: