Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Ed Champion Deserts the Bay Area

Ed Champion , who writes the blog Return of the Reluctant, threw a goodbye party for himself Monday evening in San Francisco. He’s leaving the Bay Area for the wilds of Brooklyn, where he will continue to blog prolifically and write freelance articles for the Los Angeles Times, the Philadelphia Inquirer and other publications.

The highlight of the evening for Ed, it seems, wasn’t the karaoke or the cluster of friends gathered at the Old Mint Bar on Market Street to say goodbye. It wasn’t even the presence of his close friend and fellow blogger, Sarah Weinman. It wasn’t me, either. It was the fact that Howard Junker, the editor of Zzzyvaa, showed up and drank a pint of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

I was glad Howard showed up, too. I was afraid I was going to be the oldest person at the party, but Howard took that role. But one giveaway sign that we are in our golden years is the fact that we both drank one drink one beer and left, leaving the singing of old ditties to others.

This was the second time I talked to Ed in person. But like lots of on-line friendships, I feel like we started a conversation a few years ago that is still continuing, So even though Ed is moving to Brooklyn, I will still learn a lot about him through his blog posts and Bat Segundo podcasts.

But I did learn one thing about Ed last night: he has a lot less hair then I realized. No hair, to be exact.

No comments: