Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2005

In Her Shoes

I went to see “In Her Shoes,” Saturday night. It was great. The movie is adapted from Jennifer Weiner’s third book about two sisters who are as different as can be. It’s been advertised as a chick-lit movie with heavy emphasis on Jimmy Choo shoes. But it’s much more than that. It’s a story about love and envy and trust. It features many elderly actors, which was astonishingly refreshing for a Hollywood film.

Curtis Hanson is the director. He also directed “L.A. Confidential” with Russell Crowe and Kim Basinger. In short, the movie is excellent. My husband, who had threatened to duck out and see Nicolas Cage in “Lords of War,” instead, said it was one of the best movies he had seen in years. There were lots of tears in the audience.

I have to say I hadn’t read the book, so I came to the movie without any preconceived notions. I did read Weiner’s first book, Good In Bed, but I haven’t read any of her other novels.

I love her blog, though. It’s called Snark Spot, and recently she’s been talking a lot about what it’s like to have a novel transformed into a big budget Hollywood movie starring Cameron Diaz, Shirley MacLaine, and Toni Colette.

No comments: