Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2005

More Top Ten Lists

OK. Everyone has come out with their list of Top Books for 2005. The San Francisco Chronicle listed a lot of books on Sunday. While the list looks great, I must confess I have only read two of the non-fiction books and three of the fiction books. I haven’t read any of the books on the Salon Top 10 list -- fiction or non-fiction. (I started Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go, but didn’t like it, although I plan to give it another try) That shocks me. I read a lot. It really is impossible to keep current with all the books released each year.

So Christmas and Hanukah both start on Dec 24. Perhaps the best question to ask is what books have we purchased for gifts? I was in a Barnes and Noble today and picked up Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld and Memoirs of a Geisha for my teenage daughter and Michael Connelly’s new book for my significant other. Last week I bought Russell Banks’ book The Darling (which was recommended by 3 people) and Marge Piercy’s new book, Sex Wars, which got a positive review this week in the Washington Post. I have been buying Marge Piercy in hardback for decades, and have been mostly disappointed since Gone to Soldiers. I hope I like this novel.

I wonder what book other people are buying their friends and family?

No comments: